Monday, July 11, 2005

In Virginia

We have just spent the weekend at my brother and his wife's mountain home in Virginia. It is just beautiful here! So relaxing, and so pretty. It has been really nice to be able to spend some time with DB and DSIL. My nephew came up Friday night with his wife and their new baby. We were lucky to be able to spend some time with them and were happy to be able to meet DN's wife at last. Their daughter is a little doll! Tomorrow we will be going back to North Carolina and picking up our rental car, and then we head for Williamsburg, VA.

Yesterday we went to see Maybry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is fairly close to where they live. In fact, their house is right off of the Parkway. I got some great photos. I'll post one after I get home. Today we went to two antique stores in Fancy Gap. I bought two things...QUILT TOPS! One is a Dresden Plate, which has feed sacks in it. In fact, I think the background squares might be feedsacks (plain unbleached muslin, anyway). With the colors and fabric I am guessing it was from the 30's. The other one is all plaid fabric with squares for most and then it switches to smaller rectangles on one side. I have no idea how old it is. will have to look at fabric books to see if there are any fabrics that can be identified. It is kind of a funny looking thing, but I like it. Now, the best part, I only paid $35 for the Dresden Plate, and $10 for the plaid one! I was thrilled to find them for that amount. Cooooool! Will have to write more the next time I can get to a computer. Oh, how I wish I had a laptop!

No comments: