Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Oh... my muscles hurt

I just spent 20 minutes typing an entry and then LOST IT!!!!!!! This is new to me. This is the first time that I have been able to use a computer since I have been here. We started the archaeological dig yesterday after getting some basic instructions. First you remove sod, then dig down further with a spade and then scrape it smooth with a flat shovel and then use a trowel. You need to get down to the bottom of the plow zone, where things are undisturbed. Lots of people found artifacts in the plow zone and some found a stain indicating that there is a feature there. A feature might be a hearth, or a place they stored things and later used as a garbage dump pit. Do you remember the old Charlie Brown Halloween cartoon where all the kids are trick or treating and they tell what they got, like, "I got a sucker!" or, "I got a candy bar!" and Charlie Brown looks in his bag every time and says, "I got a rock." Well, that's how I've been feeling. I got a rock. If it would have been a fire altered rock, that would have been great, but not my luck. So, I keep digging and digging and digging and that is where the sore muscles comes in. Ouch. I am not in shape for this!!!! Now I know why they call this a dig. I am going to try to post this before I lose it again!

No comments: