Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's a start...

I have the quilt, "De Pere Chainsaw Massacre" on my machine. This is in reference to the unfortunate and untimely death of some baby squirrels when my DH was cutting down a tree in our front yard at our last house. My DH and I love squirrels and feed them so they will come play in our yard. We name them by what they look like, examples, White Ears, Scruffy Tail, etc. One we had was One Eye. Poor One Eye must have had a run in with another animal or man made contraption, and had lost an eye. It was a small squirrel and we discovered, too late, a female. She had made a nest in a dead tree in our yard, but we didn't know it. When DH went at it with his chainsaw, at the point of cutting down part of the trunk, we heard a horrible screaming and blood flew everywhere. Oh, the horror! DH felt TERRIBLE! We found he had gone through a nest of baby squirrels. Later, One Eye would go sit on the tree stump for long periods of time. More guilt on DH's part. So, like the good wife I am, I decided to commemorate it with a quilt. The center was made with my friends group, Seamster's Union. We all bought two fabrics and then traded squares and made crazy nine patches. It looked to me like a chainsaw had at the fabric. I put a border around it with leaves. That part looks like an peaceful beautiful scene and then the chain saw comes along. I have a squirrel applique in each corner. It's for DH, of course. So, finally, after all these years, I am going to finish it. I got it on the machine yesterday (with some help from my cats) and am going to go start quilting it right now. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: