Friday, August 25, 2006

Hellooooooooooo Everybuddeeeeeeee!!!!! Part 2

This seems to be working now. I did a long entry this morning, and lost the dang thing. It wouldn't publish and then I saw two, one published and one a draft. I assumed it had published and deleted the wrong one. So, it is partially my own fault.

The title of this post has to be said with just the right inflection. Do you remember the Muppet named Grover? We had a book I read to my sons when they were little that had him as a character and that is how the book started. I always had to do his voice. Loved it!

Yesterday I spent lots of money! I made the down payment on the vinyl for the basement, and I also paid in full my Nolting quilt machine. It is due to be shipped Sept. 1, but I won't have it set up until after the vinyl is in. DH has all of the wall board up now and is finishing something in his shop. Then he's going to move the things we couldn't move out of my studio area into his shop. He will begin taping the seams and plastering. He is going to borrow something from a friend that will make it easier to make the plaster textured. We are going to paint it with a paint sprayer. He'll be spraying the ceiling white... all if the wood, pipes, etc. We aren't putting a ceiling in. The shop lights will hang from there and there will be a bunch of them so I have a lot of light. I am getting so excited. I am having a lesson on Monday morning on how to use it. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

I was at a curriculum writing meeting all day yesterday and got really frustrated. I want to have a say in it, but there are some people who argue and butt heads and don't want to give an inch, and then blame the other person for doing it. I had to get up and walk out. The facilitator told me at the end that there are stages people go through as a committee to write curriculum, just like grief has stages. What we are going through right now is called "storming", he said. He also said he isn't worried. He said if we were still doing this in January, then he would have to move us along and get things going better. Well, it drives me NUTS!

This morning I slept in. DH and I went downstairs when I returned from quilting last night and he showed me how far he was. We started discussing the cupboards that we'll be putting in, and I got so wound up I couldn't get to sleep. So I slept later this morning. Then I mowed the lawn, and I got some things ready to mail and finished reorganizing my closet, and did a few other things on my list. We went out to eat for supper tonight and then I dropped DH home and I went to get groceries. Came home and watched Kyle XY since we missed it Monday. Then I read the paper and here I am.

We are going up to the trailer tomorrow and taking our DGD. It is Halloween for the activity and she will go "Trick-or-Treating. I bought treats to hand out. I always get a costume for her, but it's too early for that yet, so she is going as a "Red Hat Lady." She has a long velvety dark purple dress and I have the hat. She can't wait to show the friend at the campground who is two trailers down because she is a red hat lady. DGD really likes her. It'll be fun. I love having her there, but it is definitely not as relaxing when she is there. I won't be bringing my sewing along!

She wants to be a Jack-O-Lantern for the real Halloween, so I will have to get looking for that.

I am re-vamping my teaching this year. I have to keep doing that or I would get bored. I am hoping that teaching in units this year will give me more time to do a thorough job. We have so much and it seems we never have enough time. I've been planning, but have more to do. I have to look at the number of units I'll be doing and figure out how much time I have to use for the units. Some will take longer than others. I need to make a sort of schedule for myself for the year. "Curriculum Mapping" is what it is called. I just call it planning my year. It will be interesting to try a new approach.

Boy, I was really funny this morning, and tonight I am dragging butt. That's what happens after a day of hard work. Will talk to you again soon!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like a busy few days ahead, and behind. Curriculum mapping - ugh! We did it for the whole district, got lots of opinions from everyone - almost 3000 employees, and in the end it came down to a few of us (8) doing most of the actual work.

It was interesting some of the time, and the way you described it the rest of the time. I have no patience for that stuff, either. The attitudes! Hopefully, it will get better as the year goes on.

Are you following any of Heidi Jacobs' work? That's where we started. I did get 3 days at a great San Diego resort right on the beach for the training, though! =)

Jaden said...

Don't forget, Mom, there's a monster at the end of that book! ;-)

Penni said...

That book wasn't "The Monster at the End of this Book" was it??? That was my absolute favorite when I was a kid.
I have been trying to get a copy for Lily but no such luck yet, I hope it's not out of print.

Angel said...

If you saw my son's comment, you'll know we did read that book. But the one I was thinking about was Grover Plays Hide and Seek. Grover tries to hide on every page and you can always see him. At the end Grover begs you to say you can't see him, if you are his friend, and then says "Thank you, Thank you! You are my best friend!