Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Just finished my coffee...

so I'm awake. I have been getting up when DH gets up so I get used to it again before school actually starts. Even though school has not started yet, I am doing school things. Yesterday I went to our "Data Retreat." A retreat usually is enjoyable- maybe they call it that to try to make us feel we enjoy it. I go because I have to go. As department head for social studies I am in charge of writing our department goals. I was able to complete that yesterday (as a draft- I will discuss it with my department, but knowing them they won't have any changes), and also figure out how I would use department meetings to discuss strategies that we are supposed to be using, and encourage their use. I did have help from an ELL teacher (English Language Learner) who teaches 6th grade SS, so that was good. She's a person who is really on the ball. She's on the Curriculum writing committee with me, too. We have THAT all day meeting tomorrow. At least I get paid for those meetings! Today I am meeting with a teacher who will be teaching both 7th and 8th grade social studies this year but hasn't taught it before. I gave her some things to take home over the summer, and today I am going to talk to her about what I do to teach 8th grade so she can get an idea of what to do. I will share any of the activities I do with her if she wants. You really do have to adapt things to fit your own personality. I am sure that some other teachers couldn't pull off some of the goofy things that I do in my classroom. A couple of years ago I had two high school students come to visit me. One of them said, "You know what, Mrs. V? Sometimes my HS SS teacher says things and I think, 'I already know that. I learned that from Mrs. V.' " Then she said, "I was learning things, and I didn't even know it because I was having so much fun!" That made me feel GREAT! =-)

I am still trying to get things done around the house before my teaching bogs me down. Yesterday I started rearranging my closet. I have been doing things to help DH out (like mow the lawn, which he usually does) since I want him to keep working on the basement. He did more wall boarding last night. He is almost ready to plaster.

One thing I have been procrasinating about is painting fabric for my challenge quilt. My former quilt buddies in Two Rivers and Manitowoc have a quilt show at the Rahr Art Gallery in Manitowoc every couple of years. This year it will be the month of Dec., into January again. The challenge was to take a painting (that will be displayed with the challenge quilts) and make something that it inspires. It is a water color painting, so right away I thought of painting on fabric. After being taught how to do it last summer by a friend, I had some fabric I could use. I decided I needed some darker "water" fabric and I have the things to do it, but right now my confidence is flagging and I am wishing my friend lived a lot closer! I will have to boldly step out and do it, but I have to wait until I feel bold! Soon, very soon. I am going to take the painted fabrics and use pieces to make my quilt which I will call "November Sky Over Lake Michigan." I am also using a new technique to put it together that I was also shown by the same friend. She makes gorgeous quilts, art quilts, and mine won't match her expertise, but it will be something new, which I think a challenge should be. Just have to get my Star Trek courage up... to boldly go where I have not gone before! LOL

Time to hit the shower. Oh yeah, and get in it to clean up, too. Wish I could sit in my jammies all day and read. That's what I REALLY feel like doing today!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Too bad you couldn't have a jammie day. School is looming awfully close now. But it sounds as if your room is coming along pretty quickly!

All your talk of school meetings makes me so happy to be finished with all that. =)kpicln